Langos Recipe (Hungarian Fried Bread)
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1.3 cup water
- 1 big cooked potato mashed
- 3 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cup oil for frying
- 4 cloves garlic pressed or grated
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- 1 cup sour cream or crème fraiche
- 1-3 cloves garlic pressed or grated
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 cup your favorite cheese grated
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1-2 packages bacon
- Mix the yeast with lukewarm water, add the mashed potato, salt and flour. Knead the dough but not to much, it's supposed too have a soft consistency. Let the dough rest for 35-40 min.
- Put some flour on your working table. Knead in a little bit more flour and cut the dough in 10 pieces. Roll the dough into circles. Let them rest for 10 minutes on a baking sheet with flour.
- Pour 3-4 cm oil into a pan or pot, heat the oil to 360F (180C). Test fry a little bit of dough.
- Fry the langos one at the time for 3-4 minutes on each side until it has a golden brown color. Let them rest on a grid with paper underneath. (You can add the cheese now if you want it to melt on the langos)
- Mix the grated/pressed garlic with olive oil. Brush the langos with the oil.
- Add garlic and salt the sour cream or crème fraiche, then add it on top of the langos.
- Cook some bacon and chop it up together with the red onion. Add it on top of the langos along with your favorite cheese!