If you’re looking for the best chicken murphy recipe, we’ve got you covered. This recipe not only gives you the best method for making it but also gives you information about how the recipe came about, a detailed description of the ingredients and some tips.
If you’re the type of person who loves a good chicken stew, you’re looking at the right recipe.
This recipe is all about the savory goodness of the combination of chicken, sausages, potatoes, pepper and tomatoes. Are you salivating yet?
Yes, this delicious chicken plate has thrived in our homes, restaurants and even the streets. It takes a little bit more time to cook but we promise you, it’s worth it.
What is chicken murphy?
Chicken murphy is a one-pot dish that you can probably call a stew. It’s a mixture of perfectly browned chicken, sausages, pepper, potatoes, and finished off with a good tomato sauce.
The chicken in this dish is usually cut into bite-sized pieces, which cook so perfectly in the rendered fat of the sausages and the zing of the tomato sauce.
The peppers’ natural sweetness adds a distinctive flavor that keeps on making us have another bite. These flavors tickle the sides of our mouths!
From where does chicken murphy originate?
Chicken murphy originated in New Jersey. Why is it called murphy? We’re not entirely sure. According to research, chicken murphy was supposedly named after a cook or waiter named Murphy. Anything other than that is a mystery.
If you study the recipe of chicken murphy closely, you’ll notice that it’s a lot like an Italian stew.
We might be jumping to conclusions here but it could be that this was a recipe from the earlier immigrants in the East Coast and then it evolved into a delicious, mouth-watering dish.
Can I make Chicken Murphy without sausage?
You can make chicken murphy without sausage but we’re not too sure that it would still be considered chicken murphy. It would be a delicious dish, yes but the sausage adds so many flavors into the dish.
Chicken murphy without sausages would be a normal chicken stew with peppers and potatoes in tomato sauce. Although sausages aren’t what really defines the dish, it’s one of the best-supporting actresses.
Ingredients for your Chicken Murphy recipe
- Chicken Breast – We like using boneless chicken breast or chicken breast tenders for this recipe. They’re a lot easier to chop up to smaller pieces and the other flavors really seep into the meat.
- Italian Sausage – You may use sweet or hot Italian sausages for this recipe, depending on your preference. We like to use the hot sausage for this recipe because we like the kick it brings to the dish, most especially with the tomato sauce.
- Potatoes – Potatoes are one of the key ingredients of this recipe. It doesn’t really matter what kind of potato you use but we like using marble potatoes for this. They’re cute and small – also bit-sized like the chicken.
- Mushrooms – Cremini mushrooms are best for this recipe. They’re cute neutral but they also bring this subtle and delicious mushroom flavor into the dish. If you cannot find cremini, you may use fresh button mushroom or Portobello.
- Garlic – Good, fresh garlic is always best to use. Some people like to mince but we like to mash the garlic with a mortar and pestle to get that paste.
- Onion – A lot of recipes will require you to use white onion but try using red onion for more flavor. It’ll be good!
- Bell Peppers – You can get creative with your bell peppers. These babies will add so many flavors to the dish AND they’re great for aesthetic purposes. Try to use all three bell pepper colors. The dish will be a lot more inviting to the eye.
- Tomatoes – You may use fresh or canned tomatoes for this recipe. If you’re using fresh, you may roast the tomatoes in the oven to soften them and it adds that roasted flavor. We highly suggest you used canned diced tomato with no sugar added. It’ll be easier and fast to cook.
- Pepperoncini – For a little mild kick, add this to your chicken murphy. It won’t affect the dish so much but it’ll be enough to make our nose sweat with the tomato.
- Broth – Set aside a cup of chicken broth to use in the stew. It will definitely intensify the chicken flavor.
How to cook Chicken Murphy
Preparing and cooking chicken murphy could take a while but it’s not so bad. Do not be intimated with the amount of time you need to dedicate to make this.
First, preheat your oven to 350F.
Prepare all of your ingredients. Chop the chicken and potatoes into bite-sized pieces. Wash the peppers and mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms, peppers and red onion into nice ¼” sizes and set aside. Crush the garlic cloves using your knife or even better, a mortar and pestle. Chop the sausage into nice bite-sized pieces as well.
Heat up a Dutch oven or simple saucepot with oil and sear the sausages until brown. Set these aside for now. Throw the potatoes into the pot and brown. Set aside together with the sausages.
Next, add the mushrooms until they brown or achieve a nice crust on the sides. Set aside as well.
Cook the onion and the garlic next until the onion turns translucent and the garlic gets ender. Set aside.
Add the bell peppers to the pot and sauté until tender. Set aside with the rest of the cooked ingredients.
Finally, add the chicken last and brown the chicken. When it has been browned, add the rest of the ingredients into the pot. Pour the tomatoes, pepperoncini and broth into the pot and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
After 45 minutes, remove the cover of the pot and bake for another 10 minutes.
What to serve with chicken murphy
Chicken murphy is a flavorful dish on its own. In order to create a meal out of this dish, you can serve chicken murphy with rice pilaf to fill up your stomach. A nice rice pilaf is a good starchy side to go with this savory dish.
Another good side would be sourdough bread. It would be great to scoop your chicken and sauce with a slightly crunchy slice of sourdough. The slice of bread would even be perfect to clean up your plate once you’re done eating the chicken.